- Check out real estate professional referrals. — I like Angie’s List because I know that Angie’s List voice verifies each review. You can also see if the agent or brokerage has any awards for client satisfaction.
- Speak with a few Realtors — There is no one-size-fits-all. I know that Stuart Nesbitt is not for every home hunter. Take a moment to interface to me on the phone. If I can't help you, I can point you toward a real estate pro who is more suited to your needs.
- It's important that you have a good feeling when speaking to your real estate agent. — You will probably be working with your real estate agent anywhere from 2 to 12 months, so it helps to get along with them. Professional expertise is an important criterion when choosing a Realtor in Arlington County.
- Find out how each real estate agent identifies properties. — When choosing a Realtor, ask how they shop homes. Some Realtors have their own preferred listings that they favor. But you want what’s best choice of for you, not what’s most compatible for your real estate pro. So make sure the real estate agent is willing to search high and low to find the best choice of property for you. That includes using the Multiple Listing Service (MLS) as well as their own personal network.
- Read paperwork carefully. — The Commonwealth of Virginia requires all licensed agents to sign a representation agreement before showing properties or having material discussions about a specific residence. Be very wary of any agent that is not concerned about getting a representation agreement signed. Some representation agreements describe a rebate paid to the purchaser at closing. (Nesbitt Realty offers rebates.) You'll want to read the fine print to make sure that this rebate isn't pulled away at the last minute. It's critical that you examine all documents during the home buying process, and that includes your agent's representation agreement.
The dream Realtor for you might work for a family business (or a Fortune-400 company), and is not necessarily flamboyant. The best real estate professional for you knows how to work with the budget you establish, and can think creatively to make the deal happen. Here's my nuggets of wisdom for hunting for the most compatible Realtor for you when you're buying a abode with 2 bedrooms: